Each year around my birthday I like to take some time to reflect on the previous year, to remind myself of what’s happened in my life, to look at what I’ve learnt, achieved, failed at and where I’ve grown, learned new things and improved.
The last twelve months have been full of ups and downs – I’ve certainly learnt a lot about myself, my character and who I want to be and what I’ d like to be known for. I think the biggest insight over the last twelve months has been a redefining of who I want to be as a man, husband, father and follower of God. My life has been twisted, shaped, honed and reworked this last year; it’s been painful in places and joyful in others. Life is all about growth, we’re either moving forward or going backwards – there’s no standing still.
Some highlights from the last year include:
- moving to a new work area and gaining a permanent promotion
- growing as a father as I watched and ‘grew’ with my daughter
- preparing to be a father for the second time – its really soon now August 2nd!
- realising how little I know about life and that my greatest advances in knowledge always come as a result of my failures. Ironic but I love how it works!
- That I need to watch what I say because my 2 year old picks up everything!
- Going back to study, completing a unit and realising that I need to change focus slightly
- Starting a Tithe Journey and learning a lot from God about how He wants us to manage our finances and our giving
- Following a long held dream to launch a new business helping people build margin into their lives and pursue their dreams – more to come on this shortly
- Learning that what defines me as a Christ-follower isn’t “where I go to church” but how committed I am to actively pursuing God with my entire life
- Re-discovering that God wants me to be his witness no matter where I am – the opportunities He’s opened for me to minister at work have been truly amazing
- Truly understanding Romans 8:28 in a fresh light “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Life hasn’t been peachy – far from it but in all the ups and downs, God is constant and I can see Him leading me and shaping my life through the good and the bad – Amazing!
One of the highlights of my birthday was a card I got from my brother Dan. Growing up as kids we were never into the same things but as we’ve become adults the bond between us has gone from strength to strength and I love him dearly.
Dan has a great sense of humour and his card to me is a great example. It was your average birthday card for a guy, with planes and cards on the front and a nice birthday verse inside. However Dan had decided that I needed an extra piece of advice, some wisdom from someone older and wiser than the both of us:
“It’s not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a young child, but somehow I still managed to fit in eight hours of TV a day”